2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Perfect Pastry Blend
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
1) Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
2) Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, with some of the butter remaining in larger pieces.
3) Mix in the cheese, chives, and sausage until evenly distributed.
4) Add ¾ cup of the cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it’s crumbly and won’t hang together, or if there are crumbs remaining in the bottom of the bowl, add cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface.
5) Pat the dough into 2 smooth disks about ¾” thick. Transfer the disks to the prepared baking sheet.
6) Use a knife or bench knife to cut the disks into small wedges, spreading the wedges apart a bit on the pan.
7) Brush the scones with a bit of cream; this will help their crust brown.
8) Bake the scones for 20 to 24 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the pan. Serve warm, or at room temperature.