My mother in law has been making this for years off a gorcery store recipe. I love it so much that I make it throughout the holiday season - once at Thanksgiving is just not enough.
- Fresh herbs: parsley, rosemary and sage
- 1 # good bread (get a hearty cranberry pecan loaf or something similar), cubed
- 32 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- Dried apricots
- Pecans, chopped or pieces
Preheat oven to 350°
Sauté in 2-3 T olive oil over low-medium heat (I do this in a 3 quart Dutch oven):
- 2/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3-4 T fresh sage and rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 T hometown or blended seasoning
Cook for 3-4 minutes until everything softens a bit. Add cubed bread and broth. Stir well. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat a small skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add:
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, sliced into strips
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1 t sugar
Cook until syrupy and the pecans are toasted. Add to stuffing and mix well. Season to taste.
Cover well and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more, until the top is nicely browned. Serve.