Carnitas are made by simmering pork shoulder and then allowing it to brown in the rendered fat.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4-5 # Pork Shoulder or Boston Butt - the upper and lower sections of the front shoulder of the pig
- Heavy bottomed saute or saucepan. I use a Le Creuset dutch oven with good results.
- Cube the pork into 1-inch pieces. I like to remove a lot of fat when cubing it up.
- Put the cubes in a heavy-bottomed pan and cover with water. Squeeze the juice of one lime in there, too.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 45-60 min. Skim the yucky froth off.
- Allow to keep cooking until all the water is gone. The pork will
then brown in the remaining fat. Just keep an eye on it and stir around
so it browns evenly.
- Serve with Spanish rice, fresh guacamole, a mix of chopped onion and cilantro, and shredded lettuce on good soft corn tacos.