This is a combination of Toni's and Cook's Illustrated the Classic Three-Bean Salad.
Toni made hers with canned beans which work in a pinch.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 # green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 # yellow wax beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
Heat vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Fill a large saucepan with water and 1 tablespoon kosher salt and bring to a boil. Add green and yellow beans; cook until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with ice water. When beans are done, drain and immediately plunge into ice water to stop cooking process. Let sit until chilled, about 2 minutes. Drain well.
Add green and yellow beans, kidney beans, onion, and parsley to vinegar mixture; toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight to let flavors meld. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Salad can be covered and refrigerated up to 4 days.