My great friend Kate has perfected the liquid sunset and shared her recipe. Lucky us. Mai Tais all around!
Serves 2, generously
YOU WILL NEED:
- Orange squeezer - optional but very handy for juicing fresh oranges and limes
- Fresh pineapple triangles, for garnish
- Cocktail shaker, stored in the freezer
- Meyers Dark rum
- Bacardi Light rum
- Orgeat syrup, an almond syrup available at coffee shops and some grocery stores in the coffee aisle. This is a KEY ingredient.
- Passion fruit juice. Kate recommends the Ceres brand, available at Whole Foods
- Fresh limes and oranges (or orange juice). Don't even think about using bottled lime juice.
- Pineapple juice
Combine in a cold cocktail shaker with 2-3 large pieces of ice:
- 1/2 cup each: OJ, pineapple juice, lime juice, and passion fruit juice
- 2-3 shots Bacardi Light rum
- splash orgeat syrup (see explanation at left)
In the bottom of a highball glass, add:
- splash grenadine
Top with ice.
Pour in magic elixir gently so as not to disturb grenadine.
Gently pour one shot of Meyer's Rum on top so as not to disturb other layers.
Garnish with pineapple slice and resist the temptation to drink too many.