This is from an old Wolfgang Puck cookbook, Adventures in the Kitchen.
I often omit the skewers to save time...
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
- OPTIONAL: 2-3 dozen Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for several hours or overnite.
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 T honey
- 1 t chili flakes
- ½ t cumin
- ½ t turmeric
Prep flank steak one of three ways:
1. Cut into thin strips at an angle across the grain;
2. into thicker strips and butterfly them (make a parallel cut in the middle about 3/4 the way thru the steak, opening the strip);
3. into one-inch thick strips and skewered.
Transfer the steak onto a platter or baking pan (one with sides to contain the marinade).
Combine ingredients for the marinade and pour over steak, tossing to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Bring a set of tongs and a serving platter with you to the grill and cook to your liking. Be sure to stand by the grill - the thinner cut strips will cook very quickly (2 or 3 minutes, max).
These are great as is, though we sometimes dip them in Mae Ploy's sweet chili sauce.