Make sure to get a good crusty bread to enjoy with this. I like to serve it in bowls with bread on the side for dipping.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Slow cooker or Dutch oven (I use the latter)
- 2-3 # beef roast. I use a lean tri tip roast from Trader Joe's.
- 8-12 ounce jar giardinera peppers, mild or hot
- 8-12 ounce jar pepperoncini peppers
- 8-10 oz beef broth (I use a good beef base plus water)
- Good crusty bread - baguette or ciabatta
Plan to start early - you need to cook the beef all day at a low temperature in order for it to be tender.
Preheat oven to 200°
Drain the giardinera and pepperoncini and add to Dutch oven or slow cooker.
Add the beef broth (or beef base plus water) and the the roast and stir to coat the beef.
Slow Cooker: Cover and cook on the low setting for 18 hours
Dutch oven: Cover and place in oven for 8-10 hours
Use two forks to shred the beef, or remove from cooker/Dutch oven and slice.
Serve with crusty bread and the jus, pepperoncini and giardinera.
You can also toast the bread first, melt some provolone on top and top with sliced/shredded beef.