Lean Beef Chili
Bonnie passed along this recipe from Red Gold tomatoes. I make it with a lean ground beef (96/4) and we enjoy it with cornbread. Lean ground turkey is a nice substitute.
- 1 # lean ground beef (I use 96/4)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 t cocoa
- 1 can (15-ounce) chili hot beans or kidney beans
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes chili ready (if you cannot find this, just use two cans of the following item)
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) Muir Glen diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (28-ounce) Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes
In a large skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper in a tablespoon of canola oil. Transfer to a 3 quart Dutch oven, returning skillet to heat. Add beef and brown. Transfer to the Dutch oven. Add chili powder, cocoa, 1 t salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil, redce to a simmer and cook 20-25 minutes. Season to taste prior to serving.
Serve with cornbread, chopped avocado and any other fixin's you require -- sour cream and cheddar are well-liked, though I prefer my chili dairy-free.