How does the move-out process work?
Move Out Process
If you wish to submit your 30 Day Notice to Vacate, please see below. Please note that a minimum of 30 days notice is required. The 30 Day Notice starts as soon as we receive written confirmation that you intend to vacate the unit.
If you will be giving notice of intent to vacate or will not be renewing your lease and are getting ready to move-out, there are a few important items to take care of:
- If you are on a Lease and intend to vacate prior to your Lease Expiration, please read "Can I move out even though I'm on a Lease?"
- If you just moved in, please read "I just moved in, but now I want to move out, how do I do that?"
- If you are transferring to a different property we manage, please read "How can I transfer to a different property you manage?"
Starting the Move Out Process by submitting your "Notice of Intent to Vacate" (CLICK HERE):
Please submit your Notice of Intent to Vacate which, once acknowledged, will start the move out process.
Submit a Notice to Intent Vacate:
- Click here to fill out and sign your Notice of Intent to Vacate. (Hellosign Link Template) NOTE: Only one Resident needs to sign. If all residents of the unit are incapacitated, Co-Signer or other authorized party may submit notice, but otherwise an occupant resident of the unit must be the one to submit notice.
If HelloSign link above does not work:
- Fill out the Notice of Intent to Vacate Form.
Provide a Forwarding Address:
Please be sure to notify us your forwarding address within 4 days of move-out in writing to RPM.
Also remember to forward your mail to your new address! Mail received at the address after you vacate will be returned to sender.
Conduct move-out review:
Please be sure to complete the move-out review checklist prior to move-out. Here's the link to the online version of the checklist.
Close out your utility accounts:
Please pay your final utility balances, and be especially sure to close out your accounts. Note that unpaid utility bills will be covered through the security deposit. Please send us a photo or scan of your service receipt to confirm you have closed all accounts and paid off all balances. Here's a list of Utilities.
Key Turn In:
In order for you to be officially moved out, you'll need to vacate the unit and ensure all doors are locked. Note that if we do not receive keys, the cost of rekeying will come out of your security deposit. You can return the keys to our office during business hours or, if you are not able to drop off in person, you can notify us via email that you have surrendered possession of the home and left the keys on the kitchen counter with the doors locked.
You may send an email to our office indicating you have surrendered the home and vacated.
- Outgoing tenants are required to place all keys and remotes turned over to them at the beginning of the lease on top of the kitchen counters.
- Outgoing tenants agree to take a picture of the items left behind and email that picture to Keys@RealHumboldt.com. Include the address in the subject line.
- Tenant agrees that by sending a picture of the keys and remotes left in the home to Keys@RealHumboldt.com that this will indicate they are surrendering the home and vacated.
If you do not have email, you may call/text leaving us a message that you have released possession of the unit and left the keys on the kitchen counter with the doors locked.
Moving out can be a busy and sometimes stressful time. Real Property Management provides checklists and guides to help make your transition smoother, faster and more organized.
You must give proper notice prior to vacating the property, as outlined in your lease. Real Property Management will conduct a move-out inspection only after all of your personal property has been removed and the property is fully cleaned. We consider you still living at the property until you return the keys (and garage door remote if applicable) to our office. You will not be allowed to re-enter the home after all keys have been turned into the office.
To assist us in making refunds to you promptly, we ask that you review the security deposit section of the Residential Rental Agreement that you signed when you moved in. This will clarify the refund procedure and explain any additional charges which you may incur.
The better the condition of the property when you leave, the faster the deposit can be returned to you, to the forwarding address you provide. If you vacate the property prior to the end of the lease term, you will still be responsible for paying the rent for the remainder of the lease however, we will do our best to try and lease the property.
Notice of Intent to Vacate HelloSign Link
Resident Move-Out Instructions Download
Resident Move-Out Cleaning Guide Download
Resident Move-Out Checklist Download
California Landlord/Tenant Law READ ME: Moving Out
Our goal is to maintain positive relationships with both our property owners and residents, and ensure you are satisfied. If you are pleased with our service, we hope you consider our services again in the future. In addition, we encourage you to email us and offer to post a positive review or provide a testimonial for future marketing use.
Likewise, when you decide to move, buy a home or car, or get a new job, Real Property Management will support you by offering a payment history and providing you a letter of recommendation provided you have paid your rent on time and have taken care of the property.