UNIVERSIDADE ESTADUAL DE SANTA CRUZ / DEPARTAMENTO DE LETRAS E ARTES – DLA
Projeto de Iniciação à Docência:
O Uso da Internet no Processo de Ensino-Aprendizagem da Língua Inglesa e de Literaturas de Língua Inglesa
Coordenador: Professor Dr. Isaías Francisco de Carvalho
Monitores: Joel Gomes Silva Neto / Matheus Xavier Almeida
A- Mark the option that best completes each question. (SO, TOO, NEITHER, EITHER, BUT)
- I’m learning English ___________________.
a) and so are Kelly and Jeremmy
b) and so does Jeremmy
c) but Kelly doesn’t
2. I didn’t watch any films last week, ___________________.
a) and Carla does.
b) and Carla do.
c) neither did Carla.
3. He has never been to England, _____________________.
a) and neither have I.
b) and have I neither.
c) neither do I.
4. Mary can’t go to Salvador.________________________.
a) Can’t I neither.
b) Neither can I.
c) Neither do I.
5. I don’t go to the cinema frequently. _____________________.
a) Either do Marta and Peter.
b) Marta and Peter don’t either.
c) Marta and Peter don’t neither.
6. Jack’s mother is a teacher. Paulo’s father____________________.
a) does too
b) either is.
c) is too.
B- Use the correct preposition: at, in, to or on.
1. Marcos is probably____ the station now.
2. She is ______ bed studying for the exam.
3. They are ______ home waiting for you.
4. I drove to work, but I came home _____ foot.
5. We’re going ______ Spain next year.
6. My vacation is ______ July.
7. Helen is studying law ______ college.
8. I’m sorry! I’m late. My car broke down ______ the way here.
9. There’s a small table ______ the middle of the room.
10. I didn’t go _____ São Paulo last month.
11. Don’t believe everything you see _____ newspaper!
12. Goodbye! See you _____ Friday.
13. I got up ______ 8 o’clock this morning.
14. Do you work _______ Saturdays?
15. Deyse and I first met _______1979.
16. Julia’s birthday is _______ January.
17. I like to look at the stars ______ night.
18. I’m starting my new job _______ 3 July.
19. George isn’t here _______ the moment.
20. We often go to the beach _______ the summer.
C- Complete the text with the following prepositions: in, at, to or from.
People who live 1 in California have every reason to be afraid of earthquakes. No one has ever forgotten the great quake that destroyed San Francisco 2 ______ 1906. 3_____ May, 1988, the people of Los Angeles panicked. According to a prophecy made 4______ the 16th century by a prophet called Nostradamus, the city would be destroyed early 5______ 1988. During the panic, parents didn’t send their children 6_______ school and people didn’t go 7______ work. No one stayed 8________ home, either. The airlines did great business carrying people who led 9_______ their ‘doomed city’. Which is more puzzling: how Nostradamus knew that a city which didn’t exist 10_______ his time would be destroyed 11_______ the 20th century, or the behaviour of the people who believed ‘the prophecy’?
D- Put in during/while/for.
1. We didn’t speak ______ we were eating.
2. We didn’t speak ______ the meal.
3. George phoned _______ you were at university.
4. I stayed in Rome _______ five days.
5. The students looked very bored _______ the lesson.
6. I don’t usually watch TV ________ the day.
E- Read the information about these people and complete the sentences. Use from…to / until / since.
ALEX: I live in England now. I lived in Canada before. I came to England in 1990.
ALICE: I Live in Brazil now. I lived in France before. I came to Brazil in 1991.
CAROL: I work in a restaurant now. I worked in a hotel before. I started work in the restaurant in 1993.
HENRY: I’m a salesman now. I was a teacher before. I started work as a salesman in 1989.
- (Alex / Canada / 1982-1990) Alex lived in Canada from 1982 to 1990.
- (Alex / Canada / →1990) Alex lived in Canada _________________________________1990.
- (Alex / England / 1990 →) Alex has lived in England __________________________________.
- (Alice / France / →1991) Alice lived in ___________________________________________.
- (Alice / Brazil / 1991→) Alice has lived in ________________________________________.
- (Carol / a hotel / 1990-1993) Carol worked ___________________ 1990 ___________________.
- (Carol / a restaurant / 1990→) Carol has worked ________________________________________.
- (Henry / a teacher / 1983-1989) Henry was a ____________________________________________.
- (Henry / a salesman / 1989→) Henry has been __________________________________________.
F- Put in about, according to, across, after, at, away, because, before, behind, in front of, on.
A Good Year for a Left Ear
My friend Jonathan, who lives 1 across the road, develops and prints films. 2______________ Jonathan most of us take awful pictures. Usually, we fail to aim 3______ the subject so that the subject is not even in the picture. Sometimes the subject is too far 4________; sometimes too near. Some photos are spoilt because the sun is 5_________ us, when of course, it should always be 6__________ us. Some of us take blank pictures 7________ we take the lens cover off 8_________ we have taken our shots. We take most of our pictures when we are on holiday and like to catch our friends when they are fooling 9 ________. It’s a pity we don’t practice using our cameras 10_________ we go on holiday. A good book 11________ photography would make us better 12_________ taking pictures, but most of us are too lazy to bother. I asked Jonathan what was the worst film he had ever seen. He didn’t have to think very hard 13__________ the question. At once he answered, ‘Twenty-four shots of the photographer’s left ear!’
G- Supply suitable words.
Ø About or on?
1. Read this article _______ the Antartic.
2. I’ve read a lot of books ______ animals.
Ø According to or by?
3. ___________Dr. Pim, the sea is rising.
4. ___________the timeable, the train leaves at 8:27.
5. It’s 10:15 _______ my watch.
Ø Across or over?
6. We skated _________ the frozen lake.
7. I’m going to swim _______ the river.
8. No one wants a pipeline ______ Alaska.
Ø Because or because of?
9. I couldn’t get to work _________ I was ill.
10. I couldn’t get to work _________ my illness.
Ø Before or in front of?
11. Make sure you’re there _________ 7.
12. I’ll wait for you _________ the shop.
Ø After or afterwards?
13. Come and see me ______ work.
14. We tidied up. Our guests arrived soon _____________.
15. We had a swim and __________ we sunbathed.
Ø Around or about?
16. We stood ________ waiting.
17. I wish you’d stop fooling ________.
18. Let me show you ________ Manchester.
19. He lives somewhere _________ Manchester.
Ø At, to or against?
20. I’m not very good ______ figures.
21. Throw it _______ me so that I can catch it.
22. Jim is always throwing stones ______ birds.
23. We fought ______ the enemy.
24. We have combs ______ $2 each.
Ø Behind, at the back (of) or back?
25. There’s a garden in front and one __________.
26. Keep this book. I don’t want it _________.
27. There’s a garden _________ the house.
28. I saw him four years _________.
29. They invited us. We must invite them _________.
30. I’ve fallen to lift it out the hole but it feel________.
Ø Beside or besides?
31. Who was sitting _________ you?
32. Who’s invited _________ us?
Ø Between or among?
33. Divide it equally ________ the two of you.
34. Switzerland lies _________ four other countries.
35. I saw you _____ the crowd.
Ø But (for) or except (for)?
36. The plane would’ve landed _________ the fog.
37. Everyone sent flowers ________ you.
38. ________ you, everyone sent flowers.
39. Everyone’s here _______ John.
40. Who ________ John would do a thing like that?
Ø Like or as?
41. There’s no business _______ show business.
42. ________ a lawyer, I would advise caution.
43. I once worked _______ a bus conductor.
44. This motorway is ________ a car park!
Ø Over, above or on top of?
45. I can’t sleep with a light _______ my head.
46. Don’t put that cup _______ my papers, please.
47. The helicopter was ________ the lifeboat.
48. My bedroom is _______ the kitchen.
49. We have the sky ________ us.
50. We don’t want a boss like that ________ us.