Made in Cindy's Kitchen, North of Wiarton
Recipe Source: divascancook.com
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey (sometimes I use only ½ lb)
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon parsley
- ¾ garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground meat in a skillet over medium heat until almost done.
- Add in onions and cook until tender.
- Drain meat & onions on paper towels and return to skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- * Do not over cook pasta. I usually taste check it at 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Sauce may be thin.
- Let pasta sit to thicken the sauce, meanwhile adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve and enjoy.
TIPS: Use various cheeses if desired.
Add taco seasonings for a chili-mac.
Chopped tomatoes are good in this as well.
Want veggies? Peas or broccoli works great !
Hot sauce anyone?