White House Berry Cobbler
Circle B Kitchen
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 cups berries (Huckleberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.) (about 11 ounces)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
1. In an 8-inch square or other 2-quart baking dish, melt butter.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg and stir in sugar until combined well.
3. Add milk and whisk batter until it is just combined.
4. Pour batter into melted butter; do not stir. Pour berries into center of batter; do not stir. (I sort of scatter the berries all over)
5. Bake cobbler in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until cake portion is golden and berries exude juices.
Note: I used an 8 1/2 inch round clay baker for this. I can't say exactly how it would come out in a glass, metal or ceramic baking dish. It seems to brown quickly, so check on it before the 40 minutes. Mine was done at 30 minutes.