Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Icing
Circle B Kitchen
This has become one of our family's favorite cakes, and we make it with alarming frequency. As you will find, it's a bit addicting, but a fairly healthy indulgence. The original recipe uses a 9x13 pan to cook this in, but I prefer the round 9-inch springform cake pan. If you'd like to use the 9x13, you only need to bake it for about 20 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of the Portland Press Herald
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9-inch cake pan (a springform pan makes removal super easy) with nonstick cooking spray. Cut out a piece of parchment paper the size of the pan and place it in the bottom of the pan. Spray with a little more cooking spray and set aside.
2. Boil the water and pour it over the quick oats in a small bowl. Stir and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in the sugars. Add the oil and beat again. Add the buttermilk or yogurt and the vanilla, and beat again.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon (if using) and salt. Set aside.
5. Beat the oatmeal into the egg mixture. Then add the flour mixture and stir to mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes. If not using a springform pan, gently remove the cake to an oven-proof platter. If using a springform pan, you can just proceed with the recipe and remove the cake from the pan after broiling the topping.
7. For the topping, in a small pan over low heat, melt the butter with the milk and the sugar. Add the coconut and stir. Spread over cake and broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Cake can be frosted immediately, or after cooling a few minutes. It really doesn't matter.
8. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and then remove it from the springform pan and place on a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temp.