Circle B Kitchen
Recipe adapted from The Parthenon
For the Stuffing:
¼ cup olive oil
2 stalks fresh green onions, chopped
1 small onion (or ½ large), chopped
8 oz frozen spinach, washed, squeezed to remove excess water
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Saute both onions for 1 minute in the olive oil, and then add spinach. Saute for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Pour spinach mixture in a bowl and cool. Add the eggs, feta, pepper and lemon juice to the spinach mixture and mix very well.
To Stuff the Breasts:
1. Make a pocket on the thicker side of each breast: Using a sharp knife, cut into the breast about 1/2inch from one end. Create a pocket, slicing to within about ¼ inch of the other side.
2. Stuff each breast with some filling, distributing it evenly throughout the pocket and to the ends. Press on the top of each breast to close the pocket.
3. Line up three wide shallow dishes. Fill the first with ¾ cup flour. In the second, whisk 2 large eggs, and in the the third, 1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs mixed with salt and pepper.
4. Season the breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip it into the eggs, turning to coat evenly and then dredge in the breadcrumbs, pressing to make the crumbs adhere evenly. Gently shake off any excess. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes and up to 3 hours to let the breading set.
5. Heat oven to 350°.
6. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet. When the oil is very hot, carefully add two of the breasts to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer breasts to a baking pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice and bake about 15 to 20 minutes.