Beet Salad with Oranges, Almonds and Goat Cheese
Circle B Kitchen
For the Salad:
- 1 pound Beets
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Oranges
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Head of Romaine Lettuce
- 5 ounces Mixed Baby Greens
- 2 ounces Good quality goat cheese
- 2 ounces French Feta cheese (from a block packed in water or brine)
For the Vinaigrette:
- Juice of one Orange
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the beets and place in a baking pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until a skewer can easily be inserted into the beets.
- Remove the beets from the oven and cool. Remove the skins and cut the beets into wedges. Toss with another drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- Peel 2 of the oranges and slice into sections. Cut the 3rd orange in half and juice. Set these aside.
- Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Combine the feta and goat cheeses with your fingers to form medium-sized crumbles.
- Cut or tear the romaine into bite-size pieces and mix with the baby greens.
- Toss the lettuce with 3/4's of the vinaigrette and place on a platter.
- Garnish the salad with the beet wedges and orange segments and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle the salad with the cheeses and toasted almonds and serve immediately.