This river and community derive their name from the Creek fena, "foot log or bridge," and halhauwe, "high," with the meaning given as high bridge. When Gen. Andrew Jackson's army passed here in 1818, the topographic officer put down Slippery Log Creek on his map.
Fenholloway is six miles east of Perry, just south of US 27. Now you turn right and have to know where to turn in order to reach the Fenholloway of long ago. In 1905, Fenholloway was on the main road to Mayo and one had to go through town and across the bridge to be on the Mayo road. It was a dirt road and Hwy 27 as it is now did not exist.
Now as you turned off Hwy 27, Tedders sawmill was located to the right. There were mill-quarters and company houses on both sides of the road.
Down the street to the right was the spring where mineral water was bottled. Across from the spring were the two Methodist churches, the M.D. Methodist and Weslyn Methodist. Across the street from the churches stood a three room school house. There were several stores down from the big spring on both sides of the road. The first building on the right as you turn off Hwy 27 was the commissary, owned by the mill. The other stores were owned by Bob Carlson, who had a general store; a Mr. Coleman; Mr. Wingate and Mr. Baisden. In the second floor of Mr. Baisden's general store was the meeting place for the Woodmen of the World.
The post office was on the main street and there was a hat shop operated by Mary Collins in the back of that building.
The hotel was located on the main street facing the Fenholloway River. It was built shortly after the Kirbys moved there in 1905. The hotel was a large, oblong building with two floors. There was a narrow porch completely surrounding both vfloors of the hotel with bannisters all around. The hotel was constructed of wood, with the siding on the building built with board and batton. The building was painted white with red trim. The entire upper floor was for use of guests, and the lower floor reserved for offices, kitchen, dining room and the hotel's pool. The pool was inside the building and built in the shape of a boat. It was fed by a sulfur spring. The water was pumped from the spring into a reservoir and then into the pool.
The hotel was destroyed by fire in the late 1920's or early 1930's.
The livery stable, located in the central part of town, was owned by a Mr. Carlton. He kept horses and ran the livery stable.
A large turpentine still was located a few miles outside of town. The Westberrys bought it from the former owners. The turpentine still hauled staves to their location and constructed barrels in which to store the turpentine.
One block off Main Street was a train depot. It was operated by Florida Railway (earlier Suwannee and San Pedro Railroad)
Fenholloway was noted for its mineral springs. Andrew E. Jackson took over the operation of the mineral water business at Fenholloway in 1921 from W. J. Hiers. He sold the water locally from a 1921 Ford pick-up truck. The business expanded and they had trucks going all over North Florida and South Georgia. They pumped the water from the springs, bottled it and transported it to Live Oak, Mayo, Cross City, Greenville, Madison, Lake City, Bronson, Quitman, Adel, Moultrie, Cairo, Thomasville and other cities in the area. In 1936, Edwin Jackson bought the business from his father. After the spring dried up, he had to import the mineral water. The business closed sometime in the 1950's.
It was reported that there was a brick plant above the bridge.
James Odom was one of the pioneer citizens of Taylor County - of the Fenholloway and San Pedro section.
Adams Sawmill was located near Fenholloway.
The W. O. Newman family lived on the old Florida Railroad at Asco which was near Keene station southeast of Fenholloway.
The Lindsey Turpentine industry and later Brooks-Scanlon made this a busy area in which to live.
Suwannee & San Pedro Railroad schedule for trains dated Sept. 2, 1903 indicated stops at Charlton, Keene, Fenholloway Denmark, Maloy and Perry.
Fenholloway School - grades 1-12