1891 - 1936 - an era of Steam Trawler fleets
North Atlantic fleeting began in the 1840's and carriers were fast sailing ships which were replaced by steam carriers in late 19th century and continued until fish stocks were depleted in about 1936.
In the mid to late 19th Century the fortunes of the fishing industry and the town fluctuated economically, however things changed forever when in 1892, Preston Dock was opened followed by the Manchester Ship Canal, allowing cargoes of sugar, flax and timber that had previously unloaded at Fleetwood for shipping by train, to now be unloaded at the industrial heart of the county and reduce transport costs.
The steam trawler Gamecock fleet sailed out of Hull and comprised some 49 steam trawlers, 6 carriers and 1 hospital ship. The vessels sailed together under operating orders signalled by the Admiral in his 'Flagship'.
Pioneers of this method included the Kelsall Brothers and the Beeching family and the fleet followed shoals of herring some miles in length, migrating from the North of Scotland in the spring down to Lowestoft in winter.
"The fishing boats stayed at the fishing grounds for days at a time and passed their catch onto the carriers. They literally went round and round in circles unloading their catch every time they passed the carrier. The carriers were very fast boats capable of getting the catch to markets."
The steam carriers were purpose built to be very fast and enduring the wildest weather due to the bows standing very high out of the water. The sides of the vessels sloped down, so that in the stern it would be almost possible to step on board of a small boat. When the carrier reached the fleet she would drop anchor and signals were sent for loading to begin. A film of these events is available on YouTube.
Kelsall Brothers Co. originally operated out of Fleetwood and the brothers included John E.A, Edward, Thomas T, Fred and Joseph.
Thomas Kelsall was a fish salesman worked on the Fleetwood pier and also at 108 High St. Manchester.
About 1895 Kelsall Bros.& Co. merged with George Beeching Ltd, and operated out of Kingston-upon-Hull, East Yorkshire. Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester comprised John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching as Fleetwood managers. Between 1891 and 1897, Kelsall & Beeching participated with the ‘Gamecock fleet’ contributing 32 steam vessels such as the Amarapoora, Bovic, Burmah, Grouse, Jay, Remus, Swift, Valetta and Wren. John Kelsall, operated from Prestwich, ManchesterJohn E. A. Kelsall jn was manager working out of Manchester and London and George Beeching worked from the port of Kingston-upon-Hull. They operated an associated ice works company and diversified under different company names to provide a service at every step of the way for their industry. The names of Kelsall and Beeching appears across the board from hiring to fishermen to fleet owner and ship share owner, from merchant to monger to providor of game, their interests uniting the families and the United Kingdom.
In 1896, Fred T. Kelsall & Co. Fleetwood occupied premises on Jubilee pier, Fleetwood.
Kelsall & Blackburn also operated at Fleetwood pier comprised of Thomas F. Kelsall, Henry Robertson & Henry Blackburn, ofvFleetwood.
In 1914 many of the ships of the fleet were requisitioned by the Admiralty to act as minesweepers and auxiliary patrol vessels. The "Tern" and others were lost in 1915 off Scotland; see further record of wrecked ships.
By 1935 fish stocks in the North Sea were in decline and the older trawling companies engaged in this fishery were experiencing financial difficulties. This was particularly true of the pioneers, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd and their associated company, Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, which went into liquidation on 6 March 1936 and all vessels were sold off affecting 800 men.
Life of a fishing fleet vessel:
CITY OF MANCHESTER (FD193) (1900-1922)
2.12.1899: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.626) for Richard Kelsall, Liverpool (32/64); John Johnson, Cheetham Hill, Manchester (12/64); Thomas Kelsall, Prestwich Park (12/64) and Thomas Frederick Kelsall, Fleetwood (8/64) as CITY OF MANCHESTER.
4.1.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD193).
1.1900: Completed.
12.1.1900: Thomas F. Kelsall appointed manager.
7.1.1903: Twelve shares (T. Kelsall) sold to Sarah Kelsall, Southport.
15.7.1903: Twelve shares (J. Johnson), six sold to William Johnson, Manchester and six sold to John Johnson Jnr, Manchester.
30.9.1904: Off Fleetwood in collision with 1st class smack SECRET (FD161) which was badly damaged.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 84.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
8.1918: Returned to owner.
12.11.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ERNESTA (FD193).
1925: Sold to Pharos Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John W. A. Potts, manager).
1930: J. W. Dollin appointed manager.
18.2.1931: In the Firth of Clyde, seven miles NE of Sanda Island, in collision with steam puffer BRITON (68grt/1905) inwards for Glasgow from Carnlough which foundered. Four crew picked up.
1933: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
29.9.1933: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.
Funnel artwork courtesy of William Blow
Kelsall Trawlers
S.T. Port Jackson FD6 -
13.4.1904: Registered at Fleetwood (FD6), Thomas F. Kelsall designated manager.
23.12.1910: Eight shares (E. Bourne & W. H. A. Richardson) sold to Thomas F. Kelsall, Fleetwood. Designated managing owner.
Pre1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
Pre1920: Sold to T. F. Kelsall, Fleetwood..
Post 1930: Sold to Kelsall & Blackburn Ltd, Fleetwood.
Category: Funnel Colours