The Homebrew Channel is the main weapon in the arsenal. It puts the Wii into a state where it waits to load a boot.dol/elf of your choice, which is basically a program a developer writes (kind of like a .exe for Windows). These programs can range from playing media off your Wii, installing and updating IOS's, managing files on your USB drive or SD card, and much more. The possibility's with homebrew are literally endless. Having the Homebrew Channel onto your Wii will enable to run these custom made programs right off your own Wii.
* Make a backup of the contents of your SD card
1. Bannerbomb loads files from the root of the SD card, so in this case, put the hackmii installer there.
Download the hackmii installer.
You can find the installer here: http://bootmii.org/download/
Extract the zip file from the download to your PC.
Open the folder that was extracted and you will see a file named boot.elf.
Copy this file to the SD card root (not in any folder).
2. Downloading bannerbomb from its official site.
Go to the bannerbomb website.
You will see some instructions there. They are basically the same as our steps, but we still advise you to use this guide.
Download the aad1f.zip file for 4.1/below or abd6a.zip for 4.2. Extract this zip file directly to your SD card root.
3. Insert the SD card in the wii and turn on the Wii.
4. Executing the bannerbomb exploit.
5. You should now see the following prompt:
Choose Yes. It will boot the Hackmii installer.
6. You will see a Scam warning screen.
Wait for the message at the bottom to appear, then press 1.
7. You will see a screen like this one:
Press A to continue.
Now we get to the main menu, where we can install everything.
First install the Homebrew Channel (choose Yes, continue).
The Homebrew Channel will now be installed on your Wii.
Optional (Recommended) Steps: Installing BootMii
BootMii is a helps greatly with Brick protection and it is recommended to install it.
It is not required however.
In the HackMii main menu, choose BootMii... and press A. You will get another menu.
8. Before BootMii will work, we need to prepare our SD card, so do that first with the third option.
9. Install BootMii as IOS. This will always work.
10. If you're one of the lucky winners, choose install Bootmii as Boot2, then Yes, continue and let it install.
Once you're done, return to the Main menu and choose Exit to reboot the Wii.
It may automatically launch the Homebrew Channel. If this is the case, you can press Home to bring up the menu and reboot the Wii that way.
If you installed BootMii as Boot2, the BootMii menu will appear every time you boot your Wii.
11. Now you have to delete bannerbomb of the SD card! (just delete the "atkn" folder inside private/wii/title/).
Don't forget to restore your old private folder if you had one!
So, was that it?
It mostly depends on what you want to do. Many Wii applications will already work for you now.
However, if you want more, like backup loading, custom themes, etc; you will need to continue below.