The Homebrew Channel is the main weapon in the arsenal. It puts the Wii into a state where it waits to load a boot.dol/elf of your choice, which is basically a program a developer writes (kind of like a .exe for Windows). These programs can range from playing media off your Wii, installing and updating IOS's, managing files on your USB drive or SD card, and much more. The possibility's with homebrew are literally endless. Having the Homebrew Channel onto your Wii will enable to run these custom made programs right off your own Wii.
(If you already know your Wii's WiFi MAC Address, skip to step 2)
1. Go to your Wii's Settings menu.
Select "Internet" on page 2.
Select "Console Information".
Record your Wii's MAC Address for use in the next step.
2. Go to the Hackmii website: http://please.hackmii.com
3. Make sure "Bundle the HackMii Installer for Me" is checked. Select your System Menu region, enter in your Wii's WiFi MAC Address, fill in the captcha, and cut one of the wires (doesn't matter).
4. Extract the contents of the freshly downloaded .zip file onto the root of your SD card.
5. Insert the SD card into your Wii.
6. Go to your Message board (button on bottom-right of Menu) and navigate to "Yesterday" (depending on your timezone, the exploit could show up under "Today" or another recent date).
7. Click on the pink envelope with a bomb and the exploit will execute (You will see some white text appear on the screen)
8. After a short while, you will see a Scam warning screen.
Wait for the message at the bottom to appear, then press 1.
9. You will see a screen like this one:
Depending on your wii, it will show different things behind BootMii:.
Press A to continue.
Now we get to the main menu, where we can install everything.
First install the Homebrew Channel (choose Yes, continue).
This will install the Homebrew Channel on your Wii.
Optional (Recommended) Steps: Installing BootMii
BootMii is a helps greatly with Brick protection and it is highly recommended to install it.
In the HackMii main menu, choose BootMii... and press A. You will get another menu.
10. Before BootMii will work, we need to prepare our SD card, so do that first with the third option.
11. Install BootMii as IOS. This will always work.
12. If you're one of the lucky winners, choose install BootMii as boot2, then Yes, continue and let it install.
Once you're done, return to the Main menu and choose Exit.
It will automatically launch the Homebrew Channel. Unless you already downloaded some apps, you will probably see just the background.
You can press Home to bring up the menu and reboot the Wii.
If you installed BootMii
If you installed BootMii, regardless whether it was as boot2 or IOS, it is recommended you use it to create a NAND backup. This backup can be used to restore the Wii to a working state in case you brick it.
You can learn about launching BootMii and making a backup on the BootMii page.
If you installed BootMii as Boot2, the BootMii menu will appear every time you boot your Wii.
So, what's next?
It mostly depends on what you want to do.
I want to run basic homebrew applications:
=> You are already done! Visit the list of Homebrew Applications on Wiibrew. You can also view our Homebrew Channel page if you need help setting things up.
I want to load backup games from a USB drive, install WADs:
=> Continue on to install a cIOS which will allow you to use these more advanced apps.
I want to change the system menu theme:
Hacking Guide >