The student will know one criteria of a animistic religion
The student will know name of one animistic religion
Sheets of ruled & blank paper.
- Opening Gassho
- Question: What is an animistic religion?
- What is religion?
- Religion is an organized set of common set of beliefs held by people to explain aspects of the human existence.
- Arises from our brain’s ability and desire to draw patterns into things and events.
- Animistic religions
- Based on animals, plants and sometimes inanimate objects having spirits
- These are the oldest religions based on nomadic past.
- Explained where animals/food were and went.
- Why the animals did things.
- Respect for animals/plants, etc.
- Spirits active in human lives
- No clear distinctions between spirits, demons and gods
- Led by “shamans” who are also doctors and priests
- Provided a societal bonding/togetherness which humans crave
- What do you think?
- Are they valid in this scientific world?
- There are modern versions that take aspects of modern religions. They do have appeal. Do they appeal to you? Why?
- Activity: Find that animastic religion
- Similar to Clue
- Objective is to find your central aspects
- Key belief
- Key spirit/god
- Key regions
- Key practice
- Designate roles: Roller, Token, Recorder
- Roll a die, Divide by 2 (1,2: 1 step, 3,4: 2 steps, 5: 3 steps, 6: anyware)
- Walk that many steps
- If you can tag another Token, then you can:
- Ask for one Fact
- Send the other team back to Home Region
- When you get to a country, roll a die
- Read the clue for that roll.
- Home Regions
- Long House (Iroquois)
- Belief: Great Spirit created plants, animals and humans to control “the forces of good in nature”
- Spirit: Thunderer, Great Spirit
- Region: Northeast US
- Practice: Interpreting dreams
- Dreamtime (Australian Aborigine)
- Belief: All knowledge is obtained through one’s ancestors
- Spirit: Rainbow Serpent
- Region: Eastern Australia
- Practice: Initiation rite
- Belief: Islands formed by marriage of sky and earth
- Spirit: Tangaroa, the god of sea and of fishing
- Region: Polynesia
- Practice: Hula to tell story
- Belief: Japan formed by Izanagi with sister Izanami stirs the water with a spear
- Spirit: Amaterasu, the Sun goddess
- Region: Japan and southern tip of Korea
- Practice: Cleansing rituals
- Belief: Immortals protect the world from evil.
- Spirit: Jade Emperor
- Region: Han Empire (Yangtze River Valley)
- Practicing: Worshipping the father-emperor
- Long House (Iroquois)