The student will know three facts about the history of Jodo Shinshu
- History of the Hongwanji Station Sheets
- Make sufficient copies of the Worksheet
- Decide where the stations #2, #3, and #4 are. (#1 and #5 are in the classroom)
- Print out the station sheets and place at each station
- If desired, write the location of each station on a piece of paper and tape next to where you put the station sheets.
- We just covered: Zen, Jodo shu and Nichiren with Jodo shu and Nichiren coming out of Tendai
- Zen is about
- Central Sutras are: Diamond Sutra, Platform Sutra, Smiraladevi Sutra, Lankavatara Sutra
- Jodo shu is about
- Chanting the Nembutsu
- Central sutras are: Greater & Lesser Amida Sutra, Meditation Sutra
- Nichiren is about
- Chanting Namohorengekyo
- Central sutra is Lotus Sutra
- The year is 1270
- Jodo Shinshu does not exist yet as an organization. (It does exist doctrinally)
- Shinran Shonin has passed away in 1263.
- History of Jodo Shinshu Buddhism
- Divide class into teams.
- Once the students arrive at each station, they should pick up the sheet and follow the directions
- First sheet in classroom, answer questions.
- 2nd sheet
- 3rd sheet
- 4th sheet
- 5th sheet in classroom
The Summary sheet serves as a review
During review ask if they learned anything new. What was memorable.
This may be all done in one classroom.
To help keeping the information secret from "prying ears", I write down the locations on a sheet of paper to show instead of saying the next location.
Mas Nishimura, nish221.at.gmail.dot.com, San Jose Betsuin, 2018