The student will know two facts about Shingon Buddhism
- Worksheet (Attachment below)
- Mandala Samples
- Mandala Template
- Plain Black Paper
- Shingon Buddhism video
- Make sufficient copies of the Worksheet and Blank Mandala
- Queue up the video
- Get Plain Black Paper for every student
- All forms eventually move to all countries
- Early Mahayana (India/Kushan/Ghandara)
- Pure Land
- Early Japanese
- History of Shingon Buddhism
- In late 804, monk Kukai went to China to bring back Esoteric Buddhism from China (where it would soon die out in the Anti-Buddhist purges by the Emperor Wuzong).
- He was the “last” disciple of Huiguo at the Qinglong Temple in Xian
- Super human feats thru practice
- Video: Kukai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-nnU-fHRY&t=3s Stop at 10 minutes.
- Stare at the circle mandala for count of 30. Now look at the black paper. They should see a white circle. Alternatively, they can close their eyes.
- Repeat with the buddha figure
- Group Mandala
- Create a Group Mandala (high contrast, geometric) of something in Buddhism.
- Afterwards, test to see if you can visualize
- Present to class
Ask for what was memorable during the Review. Make sure that all the major points are mentioned.
This could be made into a multi-day lesson
Mas Nishimura, nish221.at.gmail.dot.com, San Jose Betsuin, 2018