Early Japanese Buddhism
Students will know one fact about the First 6 sects of Buddhism in Japan
- Worksheet - Answers
- Vinaya Sheet
- Abhidharma Sheet
- Metaphysics Sheet
1. Review of forms of Buddhism so far
- Mahayana (Madhyamaka, Abhidarma, Yogacara)
- Vajrayana (Tibetan)
- Chinese (Ch’an, Pure Land)
- Korean (Samnon-Madhyamaka, Gyeyeol-Vinaya, Yeolban-Nirvana Sutra)
2. What are Japanese like culturally?
- Shinto is the indigenous religion. Belief in spirits in everything. Gods = Spirits
- “Uncleanliness” is the worst thing; must be avoided at all costs.
- Clan/family based. Society is fluid except for the aristocracy. Very few read & write.
- Even the imperial family does not for most part until later.
- Caste based. No middle class. Merchant class is considered very low.
Guess what forms of Buddhism took hold?
2. Lecture with worksheet.
Have students fill in the worksheet
- Why do you think this happened?
- Ritsu - Vinaya - Read the rules on the Vinaya Sheet and rewrite 5 rules in common English words.
- Jojitsu - Emptiness - Explain emptiness. Give an example.
- Kusha - Abhidharma - Read the Abhidharma Sheet
- Sanron - Middle Way - Give an example.
- Hosso - Yoga - Stretching & Breathing & Meditation
- Kegon - Meta physics - Read the Metaphysics Sheet
Ask which would appeal to you? Why?
During the Discussions and Review
Mas Nishimura, nish221.at.gmail.dot.com, San Jose Betsuin, 2018