Future of Buddhism
The student will know one area of concern and one area of likely progress
- Worksheet-Answers (from the Modern Trends)
- Make sufficient copies of the Worksheet-Answers
- Review Current State of Buddhism
- Large majority, but apathy by many. Decreasing membership
- Incorporated into the culture; but many unaware of the relationship
- Southeast Asia
- Different service structure
- Liturgy is same/equivalent to that in Japan
- Different funding/governance
- Different/similar mentality
- In US, extremely minority, decreasing membership
- Slowly extending to non-Japanese through inter-marriage and “import” buddhists
- What do you think will happen?
- What will happen to Buddhist in the world?
- What will happen to Buddhism in Japan?
- What will happen to Buddhism in US?
- What will happen to Buddhism in California?
- What will happen to the SJ Betsuin?
- What can you do to affect this?
During the Review ask what is memorable
This may be combined with the Modern Trends lesson. Usually, in addition, I start the Dana Project in which the students do something together. They need to 1) brainstorm & decide on what to do 2) plan and 3) execute.
Mas Nishimura, nish221.at.gmail.dot.com, San Jose Betsuin, 2018