Scratchboard Project

APRIL 25, 2016

In this project, we were assigned to choose an image and then recreate it to the best of our ability on a scratchboard and various tools.

The first thing that I did was pick a picture, which was of my dog. I then determined the border size, graphed both the scratchboard and the image—making each grid square 1 inch by one inch—and got to work. I started at the bottom in this image because I knew that the blanket was going to take some time, but also because I wanted to save the dog for last, when I have become more accustomed to using the tools. From there, I worked my way upwards, scratching off as I saw fit and trying to match the values to those of the original picture. A few times I will admit that I scratched too much off, but I attempted to fix it to the best of my ability. In the end, I went over the entire piece, changing some values that were too light/dark and changing the direction of some strokes, so that everything flowed better.

I am actually rather pleased with how this came out in the end. At the beginning, I was a bit scared—unlike with drawing with pencil, you can't just erase any mistakes you make. Of course, I could always have used India ink had I messed up horribly, but for no particular reason I didn't want to. That was why I took some extra caution in this piece, trying to get everything right (or as close to it as I could get) the first time. Honestly, however, my favorite part of this is the blanket, because I think that that was what came out best. With the actual subject of the piece (my dog) I had more difficulty than I had had with the blanket, to be honest. Fur is something that I struggle to replicate realistically, because it has so many details and lights and darks, and I frankly tend to not have the patience to add such minute details. In this piece, though, I worked on pacing myself and trying to get everything as close to the original value as possible, and I think that I did alright in that respect. Other than that, I feel like I proportioned everything nicely, and that the contrast is similar to that of the original. Some of the lines are a bit off in the fabrics due to the fact that I did not have enough time to replicate such a detailed fabric down to the smallest thread, but I tried to achieve the gist of it. All in all, I am happy with this piece.