2AM (ON MONDAY MORNING)
SEP. 12, 2017 — acrylic and pen on watercolor paper
In this project, ink was splattered onto a piece of paper at random. Our objective was to turn those ink splatters into something.
When I received my paper, I originally had an entirely different idea—something along the lines of an alien / monster birthday party. However, after some deep inner thinking, I decided on a better idea. I'd recently watched a documentary on sleep paralysis, and it led me to the idea of a child laying in bed, with some sort of ghosts or monsters around her. I first decided how I would incorporate the ink splatters, which ended up being the basis for the shapes of some of the ghosts' heads. After that, I filled in the rest, sketching it out with pencil first, and then going over it with paint and pens.
I thought that this was a fun project, and it's a good way to get back into the art class state of mind after three months off. Of course, since I actually liked the outcome of this project, I obviously feel better about it in general. It was nice to be able to use my sort of art style (which is something that I'm often not able to do, especially with realistic projects), and I think that I made nice use of depth with the shape and perspective of my piece. A part of this that I was especially proud of was the curtains—it's a small component of the overall project, but I was proud of my ability to make them look sort of translucent. I also spent a LOT of time putting all of the little circles on the wall for the design, so I'm happy with how that turned out. It definitely improved the picture, since the plain walls (without the design) were uneven and had messy paint strokes, so I'm happy I was able to hide that. Overall, I had fun with this project, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.