Beautiful Oops

3AM (ON FRIDAY MORNING)

SEP. 12, 2018 — pen and acrylic on watercolor

In this project, we were given a piece of paper with an ink splatter on it and asked to make something out of it.

When I first got my paper, I knew that I was going to make the splatters into pupils. So I did—I drew eyes, and then I drew a monster, and then I drew some more eyes and more monsters. Once I had done all of that (in pencil), I went over my lines in pen and then proceeded to fill them in with paint. This was a frustrating process, especially because I had a lot of fine lines that were quickly covered by the paint, so once I was done painting I had to go back in and retrace almost all of the lines. After all of that was finally done, I added some patterns to the bodies (to take up blank space), and I also used very watery black paint to add some shadows. Finally, I used a white gel pen to add some extra touches, and then I was done.

I really don't like the way that this turned out. When I first started, I was really excited and was hoping for a final product that was neat but that had lots of elements. However, the reality of it is that it's pretty messy. There's too much going on (I was a little too liberal with the patterns) and the shading is messy and not at all as subtle and neat as I had hoped for. On the bright side, I think that I did a good job of achieving solid colors where necessary, and I would also like to think that my line quality is good (especially since I went over all of the lines twice). And although it's messy, I do also think that my composition was decent; everything isn't exactly in the middle, and I have some of the monsters cut off a bit in order to sort of balance the image. Overall, it isn't the worst art project I've ever done, but it's definitely not my favorite.