In this assignment, we had to do a concentration. We had to pick one concept, and then make two pieces based off of that.
I knew that I wanted to do monsters, since that's what I like to make. After thinking, I decided that I would make one of the pieces happier, and the other one more dark. I chose to do the happier one first, since I knew that I had something specific in mind for that. To start off with, I cut out the two wooden circles for the base, glued them together, and then painted it over with green. While that was drying, I worked on making the monsters. I chose to make one big one and several small ones, and so after finishing those, I cooked and painted them. I chose a color scheme that reminded me of spring, since that was sort of the look I was going for: with the green grass, the pink, red, orange, and yellow of the monsters provided a nice contrast. Once those were all done, I glued them to the base, added some extra flowers, and called that one good. For the second concentration, the process was pretty much the same. This time I made a pile of skulls and bones, and I also chose different colors. I used the brighter reds and yellows for the base, and cooler blues for the monsters. This one was a bit of a struggle, since the arm broke off and wouldn't stay glued on, so I just painted some blood onto the arm and called it good—maybe that monster's arm had been cut off in a fight or something.
I actually really loved this project. Honestly, it was probably my favorite for the whole semester, since I got to choose pretty much everything about it. I really enjoyed making the first one especially, because I liked the way that it came out. The colors looked really good to me, and I think that I did a good job with the form. For the second one, I think that I made better use of the space; I filled up most of the emptiness with the lava design, and so I liked that part. In the end, I really enjoyed this project, and I hope to do more like it in the future.