Historical Bust

In this project, we had to make a bust out of whatever material we wanted, with the only stipulation being that we had to have some picture references.

After idea-gathering, I decided to make a bust of Joan Miro, because I'd researched him before, and I liked his art style. For most of the classes that we had to work on it, I spent time making the bust out of clay: first starting with the head, then moving onto the neck, shoulders, and finally facial features. Once I'd finished that, it was time to hollow it out—we'd used paper towels on the inside to support it while we were sculpting, and so we needed to take this out, and carve some clay out of the inside, so the walls weren't too thick. Sometime during this process, things went very bad—my sculpture managed to fall, and it was kind of squashed. I was able to sort of salvage the face, which I fixed up and set out to dry. Now, I had to find something to make the rest of the bust out of. I chose to use newspaper and masking tape, since I was familiar with using that. After I sort of had the shape that I wanted, I used papier-mâché to cover the surface in order to have a better surface to paint on. After all of this, I painted the bust in a style that was supposed to look like Miro's, but ended up looking like some sort of Miro knockoff that you'd buy for $10 on a sketchy website. After that, I glued the face to the bust, and the whole bust to the base. After that, I called it good.

I didn't like this project, mostly because it broke, but also because I don't like having to make realistic things. In the beginning, I liked the idea of having the whole thing be made of clay, and I was excited to be able to surface it. However, my enthusiasm was kind of depleted after the whole accident, but I did manage to finish. Of all of my projects this semester, I would have to say that this is the one that I'm the very least proud of. The shape and form is kind of wacky, and after trying to paint in Miro's style, I realized that, however simple it is, to get such straight lines is pretty difficult. I also have a problem with patience when it comes to waiting for paint to dry, so some of my lines got smudged, and my colors mixed when I didn't want them to. I intentionally left the surface kind of rough, though—I wanted it to have some texture and look sort of like crumbled paper. I also decided to leave the face unpainted, because I thought that if I painted it, it would conflict too much with the colorfulness of the rest of the bust. Overall, I think that I would've done better if my project hadn't broken, but I guess that I'm proud of myself for having finished it.