Instant Pot Porcupine Meatballs
Don’t double this recipe. The meatballs need to be in a single layer to cook properly.
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped (about 6 ounces)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef (85% lean)
½ cup long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
½ cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Chopped flat-leaf parsley or small basil leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Put half of the onion and half of the garlic in a bowl.
2. Add the ground beef, rice, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix well with your hands so the onion and rice are evenly distributed. Don’t worry about over-working the beef.
3. Shape the meat into 12 meatballs.
4. Press Sauté and adjust heat to Normal on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot add the olive oil. Let it heat for about a minute, and then add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
5. Add the tomato sauce, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and let the sauce come to a simmer.
6. Press the Cancel button to turn the Instant Pot off. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce so they are in one layer. Spoon a bit of sauce over each meatball.
7. Put the lid on the pot and set the Pressure Release to Sealing.
8. Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button. Set the time for 15 minutes at high pressure.