W. Laugharne Morgan & Co. was a parcels & delivery business in Swansea & Mumbles. Tragedy was to strike,
Glyn Cerrig House- a Mumbles landmark
The Women’s Suffrage Movement in Mumbles
Amy Dillwyn, Frances Havergal and Morfydd Owen
The 14 strong crew of the Mumbles lifeboat the James Stevens went to the aid of the S.S. Christina off Port Talbot, during a south-westerly gale.
Loss of he Mumbles Lifeboat
On 23rd April 1947 the entire lifeboat crew of eight were lost whilst going to the aid of a British steamer, S.S. Samtampa, which had been driven onto the rocks.
The church is first mentioned in 1141. But there may well have been a church in the area before the Anglo-Normans established their castle in the twelfth century
The Kursaal, was a prefabricated building, which had been dismantled in Ilfracombe and reassembled in Mumbles, opening in August 1906.
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee
and Queen Elizabeth's in 2012
In 2011 Mumbles saw a Royal marriage, but also the centenary of the coronation of William’s Great-great grandparents, King George V and Queen Mary
This is the story of a lost house, those who lived in its environs and the ongoing work by Paul and Linda Griffiths to restore The Dingle, its rediscovered garden, so that it will once again return to its former splendour.
On 25 March 1807, Swansea took her place in History with the inauguration of the world’s first passenger railway. The carriage, wound its way to its destination at Castle Hill (near the present-day Clements Quarry)
The cemetery was tucked away in a secluded spot in the valley between Newton and West Cross at Callencroft.
In the 1950s, nature had designed a large 'bathing pool' between the mainland and the Middle Island, which attracted many families
Includes paddle-boarding on the Mixon Sandbank, Bracelet Bay
Tom the Fiddler
His selection of ribald songs could always be commanded for the price of a pint of beer. His fiddle, was ever at the service of those who, in addition to supplying him with liquor, would also give him money.
Some of the families living in the nineteenth-century village had been there for centuries
It was considered necessary to have another entrance to the gardens for the scavengers and night soil men.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time!
Prior to the Great War, there were protests because the Council had tarred the roads and wanted the public to pay for street lighting and the changes concerning drinking on a Sunday.
Includes Schools, Alehouses, Banks, Butchers, Cafes, Chemists, Grocers, Police Boxes and more
The work was carried out by members of the Ministry’s staff based in Neath Abbey and a number of students of the University of Wales.
Booking has started
2014 Gower Walking Festival
Mumbles Hill - Walk & Talk event
Flora, Fauna and Forts of Mumbles Hill at 10.30 hrs on Saturday 7 June 2014 Following the opening ...
And the development of the
new RNLI Lifeboat House
Captured in Time
By Carol Powell
Norman Thomas in his book The Mumbles: Past and Present, states that the clock, which was installed on the church tower in May 1875, was the gift of Mr. Francis Tippings of Le Mayals. However, another version reported in the Cambrian Daily Leader
The shoreline was completely altered by the railway extension to Pier and the Horsepool was gone forever
'It is a very remarkable circumstance, Sir that poverty and oysters always seem to go together.'
In 1883 a windmill was erected above the Bay.
Mr. W G Harris (front centre) and his cemetery staff in the 1930s
The editors would like any information as to the identities of the other five people
which can then be included in the article
On 3 October 1968, the crew saved seven men from the Sand Dredger, Steepholm, which had been grounded by a gale on the Tusker Rock off Porthcawl.
Lilliput Hall Its Life and Times
This is the story of a lost house, those who lived in its environs and the on-going work by Paul and Linda Griffiths to restore The Dingle, its rediscovered garden,
report and pictures
of a prehistoric trackway in Swansea Bay.
Excavated by GGAT in 2012
A series of fish traps or weirs stretched across the bay from Blackpill to Mumbles, known locally as 'The Nets'.
A MOMENT IN TIME
History is not just about 'old'.
A Victorian Landmark in twenty-first century Mumbles.
Down the years, many thousands of people have had occasion to use the Station office, whether to buy tickets, ask for information or hire a taxi.
Now submerged in the Bay and extending as far as the Green Grounds, formerly belonged to the Angel family.
A Vanished Landmark
Nurse Lloyd had been caught in a strong current while swimming near the old waterworks
Nurse Henrietta Lloyd, Mumbles’ first trained midwife, founded a mother & baby clinic and mother-craft classes in its schools
Mumbles people all recognise the now-neglected landmark fountain near the Rugby Club, but perhaps not many realise its original purpose.
Voluntary aid was supplied by Members of the local VAD and Ladies of the neighbourhood
We would welcome
information and memories concerning the Mumbles area.