Students will use the Bee-Bot to practice spelling key vocabulary words from their classroom. They will need to decompose the word into all of the steps it will take to navigate the Bee-Bot from one letter until the next. Students will utilize a planning worksheet instead of command cards as they plan for these challenges.
- Ask: What was helpful about using the command cards when programming your Bee-Bot.
- Review: Bee-Bot Team Roles
- Activity: Spelling Words
- Reflection & Close-Out:
- How did your team use the planning worksheet today?
- Did you create any new symbols to help write down the Bee-Bot's program?
debug: find and fix errors (bugs) in programs
decomposition: breaking down a problem into smaller pieces
program: a set of instructions written in a language that a computer understands
sequence: a set of instructions that follow one another in order
- List of sight words by grade level
- Yellow Bee-Bot Command Cards (1 set per Bee-Bot being used) small / large
- Bee-Bot Algorithm Planning sheet created by Owen Peery, Alamo Elementary
- Blue-Bot Instructional Guide
- Bee-Bot Team Roles poster letter / tabloid
- Technology Brain Break: choose a video from this list!
CA CSS: K-2.AP.12 Create programs with sequences of commands and simple loops, to express ideas or address a problem.
CA CSS: K-2.AP.13 Decompose the steps needed to solve a problem into a sequence of instructions.
CA CSS: K-2.AP.14 Develop plans that describe a program's sequence of events, goals, and expected outcomes.
CA CSS: K-2.AP.16 Debug errors in an algorithm or program that includes sequences and simple loops.