The Department of Education through the Office of Community Schools was awarded the New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) Empire State After-School Program grant. This grant supports schools in the Bronx and Brooklyn with the development and expansion of quality after school programs. Activities reflect a balanced schedule of academic support, including tutoring and homework help, social/emotional learning, physical activity/wellness, and prevention services.
Click here to view our list of Empire Afterschool.
- Enrollment Deadline – All programs are expected to meet their full enrollment by January 31st. If your program is not yet fully enrolled, please make sure you begin boosting your recruitment efforts. Your Program/Partnership Managers will be checking your Youth Services accounts to ensure enrollment and attendance are being met. Please reach out to your PM if you will not be able to meet the enrollment deadline.
- Program Closures – Should you need to close program for any reason besides school holidays or half-days, please make sure to inform your OCS or ExpandEd Program/Partnership Manager. Their approval is required on all program closures.
- Budget Modifications – The first budget modification period is approaching! The budget modification period is from January 2nd – January 11th. Please work with your fiscal manager to ensure any budget modifications that are needed are submitted to your Program/Partnership Manager during this time period.
- PETS : It is critical that all staff members working inside a DOE building be cleared and eligible through the PETS system. In order to set up a new PETS account, email PetsAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov and request an account. If you have an existing PETS account, email PetsAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov asking them to add Empire to your existing account. In the email, be sure to include the school name, school DBN, your agencies EIN number, and clearly state that this request is specifically for Empire.
In order to set up a new PETS account, email PetsAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov and request an account. If you have an existing PETS account, email PetsAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov asking them to add Empire to your existing account. In the email, be sure to include the school name, school DBN, your agencies EIN number, and clearly state that this request is specifically for Empire.
- School Foods/Snack/Supper: A SACC number is needed to request supper. However, any Empire programs, even those without a SACC number, are able to request supper as long as you have the minimum number of participants School Foods requires (hot meals - you must have a minimum of 75 participants; snack - you do not need a minimum number of participants). All requests for meals, including holidays, must be submitted in advance. Please see meal request submission deadlines here.
- For programs operating without a SACC registration: School administrators must place the Supper, Saturday's and Holiday request on behalf of their ESAP CBO partner. Meals should be requested through the School Food website through the Special Program System. We will not issue a username and password for programs that do not have a SACC license. All ESAP (Empire After School Program) sites regardless of whether or not they are SACC registered are eligible to request meals for programs operating on school holidays. Please access the 2017-2018 meal request submission deadlines for holiday services here.
- SACC : A SACC license is not required for Empire After School. Empire only requires programs to have all staff fingerprinted and cleared through PETS. However, if you already have a SACC license for a particular building, you must increase the capacity on that license and staff will be required to obtain SCR and SEL clearance. Please use this letter should a DOHMH Inspector visit your site.
- Youth Services: If you are having any issues logging in or with the site in general, please contact the help desk at 1-866-469-6884.
1) Inclusion for Youth with Special Needs - Tuesday, January 15th, 9:30am – 12:30pm, RSVP Here!
In this workshop, participants will collaborate with facilitators to address challenges of working with youth with specials needs in order to provide an equitable and inclusive after school space. Attendees will identify best practices within the environment they operate and will learn how to empower staff to activate practices and techniques to establish a framework of mutual understanding and respect for diversity and differences. Participants will gain a better overall understanding of accessibility and will leave with the tools to provide and share-out these awareness-building skills within their institution.
2) DOE Emergency Preparedness Training – Wednesday, January 16th, 9:30am – 3pm RSVP Here!
The New York City Department of Education’s Office of Safety & Youth Development will host 4 separate sessions to review Emergency Readiness procedures for CBOs and after-school programs. These sessions are intended for after-school program staff, Executive Staff, Site Supervisors, and Program Managers. Attendees can select one of four sessions to attend, pending available space. The training will include:
- Safety Plans
- Incident Reporting
- Building Response Teams (BRTs)
- General Response Protocols (GRPs) which outline procedures during Lock Down, Shelter In, and Evacuation situations
- Missing Student Protocols and responding to Door Alarms
- Developing Shared Vision and Goals (Logic Model Template)
- Learning from Logic Models (Harvard Family Research Project)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Arabic)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Bengali)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Chinese)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (French)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Haitian Creole)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Korean)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Russian)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Spanish)
- DOE Student Enrollment Form-Empire (Urdu)