Adult Education and Services
These education and service opportunities offer adults in the community continuing education at universities, trade schools, and GED programs. Services also include workforce development and financial literacy services.
Insurance and related services
• Direct insurers pool payments (premiums) from those seeking to cover risk and make payments to those who experience a covered personal or business-related event, such as an automobile accident or the sinking of a ship.
• Reinsurers, which can be companies or wealthy individuals, agree, for a price, to cover some of the risks assumed by a direct insurer.
• Insurance intermediaries, such as agencies and brokers, match up those seeking to pay to cover risk with those willing to assume it for a price.
Banks and other financial service providers
• Accept deposits and repayable funds and make loans: Providers pay those who give them money, which they in turn lend or invest with the goal of making a profit on the difference between what they pay depositors and the amount they receive from borrowers.
• Administer payment systems: Providers make it possible to transfer funds from payers to recipients and facilitate transactions and settlement of accounts through credit and debit cards, bank drafts such as checks, and electronic funds transfer.
• Manage assets: Providers offer advice or invest funds on behalf of clients, who pay for their expertise.
You can receive legal assistance and lawyer referrals through the New York City Bar Association and Law Help NY.
Cases handled include:
Accidents and medical malpractice
Employment discrimination and wage disputes
Marriage and family-related cases
Property, landlord, and tenant issues
Workers' compensation and work-related injuries
A university is an institution of higher learning providing facilities for teaching and research and authorized to grant academic degrees. Specifically : one made up of an undergraduate division which confers bachelor's degrees and a graduate division which comprises a graduate school and professional schools each of which may confer master's degrees and doctorates
Continuing Education is education provided for adults after they have left the formal education system, consisting typically of short or part-time courses.
Workforce development is defined as initiatives that educate and train individuals to meet the needs of current and future business and industry in order to maintain a sustainable competitive economic environment.