Pictures of Towns (Germany, Austria, Czech Republic/Bohemia)
by Debbie Blau
Plain, Sauk County, Wisconsin
History of the Naming of Plain: *Updated February 2014*
Maria Plain Meditation Garden - Plain, Wisconsin
Plain, Wisconsin - Cyclone of 1918 - A hand-carved wooden sheep was saved from the rubble of the cyclone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mutter Gottes von Ast (Our Lady of Ast)
A story about the Mutter Gottes von Ast (Our Lady of Ast) painting which found its way from the small village of Ast in Bavaria, Germany - across the Atlantic Ocean - to St. Anne's Shrine in the small village of Plain in Sauk County, Wisconsin.
Cemetery restoration project at the old St. Luke's Catholic Cemetery, also known as St. Lucas Cemetery in Plain, Wisconsin. Cemetery location: NE 1/4 SW 1/4, Section 7, T9N, R4E, in Franklin Township, on the southwest side of the village of Plain. The restoration project began about August 2009 by the Tom Kraemer family. The Paul and Walburga (Stangl) Krämer/Kraemer tombstone was expanded to show a genealogy chart and timeline with a map of Germany. This work was done by the families of Tom, Marty and Kevin Kraemer and Kraemer Brothers, LLC. By the end of the year in 2009, several tombstones were restored with new bases, tipping stones were straightened, iron crosses were repainted, and new engravings were added. Work planned to continue in the warmer months of 2010.
Plain cemeteries at Findagrave.com
Pleasant Hill Cemetery (also known as Town of Franklin Cemetery, and Plain Protestant Cemetery). The land for this cemetery was given by Solomon Cramer. The deed was dated July 4, 1869 and recorded in the Office of Register of Deeds on February 1, 1870. However, three burials are shown for 1857 and a number for the 1860s.
St. Luke's Catholic Old Cemetery (began about 1865)
The cemetery (also known as St. Lucas Cemetery) is located near the
southwestern edge of the Village of Plain on Old Highway 23. The plat
map location is NE 1/4 SW 1/4 Section 7 T9N R4E in Franklin Township,
Sauk County, Wisconsin.
St. Luke's Catholic New Cemetery (began in April 1918)
This cemetery is called "new" because it was built after the old 1865
cemetery. The new cemetery was started in April 1918 when land was
initially purchased from Casper and Catherine (Betz) Volk. However, when
the new site was chosen for the school and church building erected to
replace the church destroyed by a "cyclone" on May 21, 1918, it was felt
that the site for the new cemetery should also be changed. At a meeting
on November 18, the Volk land was exchanged for the present property
which was purchased from Frank and Catherine (Zangl) Nachreiner and from
John B. (Sr.) and Margaret (Gruber) Brechtl.
Pictures of tombstones at St. Luke's OLD cemetery, Plain, Sauk County, Wisconsin (aka St. Lucas).
Pictures of tombstones at St. Luke's NEW cemetery, Plain, Sauk County, Wisconsin.
More about the Plain History Genealogy Group. The group meets every other month. Membership is free.
History of Franklin Township from the Old Franklin Township Historical Society of Plain, Sauk County, Wisconsin.
Plain history from the Sauk County Historical Society
Distance from Plain, Wisconsin to Waldmünchen, Kreis Cham, Bavaria, Germany: 7,641 kilometers.
Plain, Wisconsin - Village of Plain homepage
Waterloo, Jefferson County, Wisconsin
Amtliches Deutsches Ortsbuch für das Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren A list of the German villages within the "Czech lands." At the top right corner of that page is this map:
Sudetenland If you don't know the name of your ancestor town in Czech language but do know the German name, this alphabetical list of towns will help find the parish in which the German records can be found: Ortsbeschreibungen, alphabetisch. Click the letter of the alphabet in which the German town name begins. Following the German town name is the Czech town name. Included in the paragraph for each town is a link for the "Kirchenbuchverzeichnis" - click that link to see the town names that are included in that parish. There will be a list of parish church books showing the years that records are available.
Böhmerwaldmuseum Wien (Bohemian Forest museum at Ungargasse 3 in Vienna). It is open on Sundays from 9 am to noon or by appointment.
Interview with Dr. Gernot Peter, curator of the Böhmerwaldmuseum.
Spring Green, Sauk County, WisconsinThe naming of Spring Green