GNU/Linux systems come with quite a lot of video editing tools. One of such tools is LiVES, a simple to use, yet powerful video editor and VJ tool.
It allows you to combine realtime and rendered effects, streams and multiple video/audio files, and then encode to over 50 formats. It is small in size, yet it has many advanced features.
LiVES is part editor, part VJ tool. It is fully extendable through open standard RFX plugin scripts.
LiVES lets you start editing and making video right away, without having to worry about formats, frame sizes, or framerates. LiVES will let you start creating your own tools, utilities and effects via the built in RFX builder.
LiVES is aimed at the digital video artist who wants to create their own content, the video editor who wants to create professional looking video, and the VJ who wants to captivate with spectacular images.
* Loading and editing of most video formats (via mplayer decoder).
* Smooth playback at variable frame rates, forward and in reverse. Display framerate can be controlled independantly of playback framerate.
* Saving/re-encoding of clips, selections, and individual frames.
* Encode to any of the 50+ output formats which are now supported (e.g. mjpeg, mpeg4, mpeg1/2, VCD, SVCD, DVD, ogg/mp4 ogm, Matroska mkv, dv, swf, Ogg Theora, Dirac, MNG, Snow, xvid, and even animated GIF and PDF!)
* Lossless backup/restore.
* Streaming input and output.
* Live inputs for firewire and TV cards
* Cut and paste of frames within and between clips.
* Real time blending of clips (chroma and luma blends).
* Ability to edit many filetypes and sources including remotely located files (with mplayer/ffmpeg libraries), and directories of images.
* Real time capture/recording of interactive (via mouseclicks) external windows.
* Rotation, resizing and trimming of video clips.
* Deinterlacing, subtitle removal.
* Ability to instantly alter the playback speed of video and audio independently.
* Instant saving/loading of clips for performances/presentations.
To install Lives just type in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install lives