Residential Education & Housing



Opening/check-in periods and closing/check-out deadlines are strictly enforced. Plan your travel accordingly!

Housing Announcements for 2019-2020

  • Introducing... Themed Living Communities (TLCs)
  • Milner Hall returns as first-year student housing, newly restored!
  • "Grill Cash" becomes Quaker Cash.
  • One minifridge will be provided in each bedroom of ALL traditional halls: Binford, Milner, English, Shore, and Mary Hobbs.
  • Cable TV contracts dissolved for all residence halls as Guilford invests in WiFi improvements.
  • Bryan Hall will be off-line for major restoration project.

The 4-Year Residential Requirement

Yes. Guilford requires students to live on campus for four years per the Residential Contract. You may ask ... why? Between schoolwork and getting enough sleep, the last thing to worry about is hustling through a commute to get to class on time. But consider more closely the value of a Guilford education. Community is central to the Guilford experience. Many students form their closest, lasting friendships outside of the classroom.

Living in such a tight-knit, diverse, dynamic group of people can expand your social circle, life experiences, and your world perspective — and it’s integral to a true liberal arts education. Through community living, students gain such transferable experiences and skills as self-advocacy, communication, conflict resolution, independence, accountability, decision-making, and respect. And as residential students you also have direct access to on-campus resources and support.

Guilford offers a variety of types of housing to accommodate students’ changing needs year-to-year. We hope you’ll make the most of them! Limited exceptions are made to this 4-year residential requirement, but if you believe that you meet these criteria, please read more about how to request an off-campus release.


There are a few exceptions which EXCLUDE a student from the residential requirement and on-campus housing options:
a.) Early College student status
b.) Continuing Education student status
c.) Age 15 or younger
d.) Age 23 or older*
e.) Enrolled part-time* (11 or fewer credit hours)
*For the last two examples, a student may petition to live or remain in on-campus housing through the Request to Stay in Housing Form below, which requires the support of the student's Academic Advisor or an Academic Dean.
REQUEST TO STAY IN HOUSING (rev 01.17.2019).pdf