Your art reconstruction project involves recreating a famous painting from the list below using adobe Photoshop and pictures gathered from the web. The idea behind this project is to deconstruct the main elements that make up a particular artwork and translate those ideas, colors, and features into a digital work.
Your project will consist of the following requirements:
- If the original painting is rectangular, your image will be 11x17 or 17x11 inches at 300 dots per inch. If the original painting is square, your image will be 10x10 inches at 300 dots per inch.
- You will need at least 10 layers
- All your images should be 1000+ pixels when searched on the internet.
- Your recreation does not have to look 100% the same, but the elements (the colors, the textures, the subjects, the theme, the mood) must be a faithful representation of the original.
- You will be using the technique of Masking in adobe photoshop. Using the selection tools, you will then create a layer mask to isolate the elements for your recreation.
- Your masks must be clean, meaning that no artifacts or pixelation should exist at the edges of your layers. Use the brush tool to refine the mask layer.
- Find a way to modernize the painting. Include modern elements or change the appearance of the subjects or recreate an old scene in a more recent setting.
For a quick example, look at the image below of The Kiss by Gustav Klimt and the Son of Man by Rene Magrite:
The Kiss is an oil painting by the Austrian Symbolist painter Gustav Klimt, and was painted between 1907 and 1908.
Son of Man
The Son of Man is a 1964 painting by the Belgian surrealist painter René Magritte. It is his most well-known artwork.
Notice that the recreations are not exactly the same. But the ideas, the elements and the overall look is the same. You may choose from the images below to begin your recreation. You may also choose a different painting but you must check with Sarabia first before proceeding.
Music, Pink and Blue, Georgia O’Keeffe
Nighthawks, Edward Hopper