Games Played Report: August 2017
Post date: Aug 31, 2017 7:46:43 PM
August flew by for me! So many things happening in my personal and work life, culminating in my kids going back to school after a wonderful summer break. Thankfully, I still managed to squeeze in some game time each day -- some days definitely more than others.
Thoughts on this month's games:
- Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter's strange Japan-only character, Norimaro, is one of my favorites.
- Madworld's black and white aesthetics are really nifty.
- Jet Set Radio still seems so fresh and inviting in terms of its visuals, but it's not so easy to control.
- Playing Strikers 1945 in tate mode on Switch makes me long for the rest of Psikyo's catalog to be released.
- Splatterhouse is definitely not as great as I remembered, but it's fun all the same.
- Klonoa Door to Phatomile has such a warm atmosphere, especially in terms of its music.
- Drill Dozer is proof that GameFreak should go off the Pokemon rails more often.
- L.A. Machineguns is pure arcade goodness.
- Radiant Silvergun is one of the BUFFEST games I've ever played.
- Sonic Mania is how the teenage me imagined Sonic games would continue on new hardware.
- I have a Pomeranian, so Tokyo Jungle has a special spot for me.
- WareWare Twisted is wonderfully creative and silly, and the cartridge's vibrations are integrated so well.
- My wife always says "Impressive, Snake" anytime I hum the end-of-stage music for Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions.
- PixelJunk Sidescroller is such a loving tribute to classic 2D shmups like R-Type.
- The production values in Puppeteer are magnificent and clever.
- Playing Missile Command on original hardware with that big trackball is a treat.
- I didn't play Night Trap until it was remastered for PS4 -- it's not "fun" but definitely entertaining.
- How does Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle even exist, and how is it somehow really great?
- Everybody's Golf seems to have less impressive graphics than its PS3 predecessor, but it's still engaging.
August 1:Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
August 2: Madworld
August 3: Jet Set Radio
August 4: Gunbarich
August 5: Strikers 1945
August 6: Splatterhouse
August 7: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
August 8: Drill Dozer
August 9: Power Stone
August 10: Dead Nation
August 11: L.A. Machineguns
August 12: Radiant Silvergun
August 13: Tempest
August 14: Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
August 15: Sonic Mania
August 16: Sky Kid
August 17: Matterfall
August 18: Magician Lord
August 19: Undertale
August 20: Tokyo Jungle
August 21: WarioWare Twisted
August 22: Gaia Seed
August 23: RayCrisis
August 24: Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
August 25: PixelJunk Sidescroller
August 26: R-Type DX
August 27: Puppeteer
August 28: Missile Command
August 29: Night Trap
August 30: Mario _ Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
August 31: Everybody's Golf