Students may propose an independent study in an area of their choosing. the proposals, which must be approved by the associate dean, outline the objectives, goals and methods of the investigation. students work with a faculty member to help guide the work and ultimately assign a grade to the course.
Past independent studies have included:
- the possible links between film noir and modern architecture
- narrative and architecture
- design competitions
- advanced building analysis
- independent travel in italy
- historic preservation policies in annapolis, maryland
Building from context:
This study by joseph o'connor is a series of animations showing the possible site forces that shaped a building. the studies begin with the site "as the architect found it" and shows how the building's form emerged from those forces.
please click on the image to see the video posted on youtube.