Home‎ > ‎ETHNIC GROUPS IN CLEVELAND‎ > ‎

Greeks

Neighborhoods They Settled In:  Tremont and others.
 

First Immigrants 1890's

 

The major influx of Greeks to the U.S, began in the 1890’s and continued into the 1920’s.  The largest concentration of Greeks was between Erie (E. 9th) and Ontario off of Bolivar.  This was known as "Greek Town".  There was another settlement along Woodland Avenue and E. 79th.  The third area was in Tremont.  The Church of the Annunciation is the oldest and largest of the Greek Orthodox Churches.  It is located on 2187 W. 14th.    

 

The migration into suburbia resulted in three new parishes:

St. Spyridon - founded in 1937 on the east side (absorbed by Annunciation)

Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 3352 Mayfield Road in Cleveland Heights

Greek Orthodox Church of St. Demetrios, 3300 Wooster Road, Rocky River

St. Paul Greek Orthodox Church, 1161 W. Pleasant Valley Road, Parma

 

Most Greeks are buried at St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cemetery in Brooklyn.

 
1942 Report by the WPA:

Cleveland has about 5,500 Greeks.  The first Greek immigrant to Cleveland came in 1870.  In 1890, there were only 6 Greeks in Cleveland.  Fourteen years later there were 42.  Originally the Greeks settled along old Bolivar Street.  Today, the nationality is scattered all over the city and suburbs.  Nearly all Greeks attend services regularly at two churches in the Greek Orthodox Faith.  The first is the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation at W. 14th and Fairfield, and the other is the Hellenic Orthodox Church of St. Spyridon, 1098 Addison Road.  In 1910 Cleveland Greeks discussed establishing a church.  The first service was held in Arch Hall, at the corner of Ontario and Bolivar.  Early in 1912, Rev. George Scarpas became the first pastor of Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation.  Services were held at Arch Hall.  By 1914, the parishioners bought a house at W. 14th and Fairfield.  The present church was completed in 1919.  Rev. William Lambert founded the Hellenic Orthodox Church of St. Spyridon in 1937.  That same year he also established the Greek Orthodox Cemetery of St. Elias at Aurora Road and Cannon Avenue.

Comments