Neighborhoods They Settled In: Tremont.
First Immigrants 1880
The first group of Ukrainians arrived in Cleveland between 1880 and 1890 and settled in the Tremont area. In 1902, they began their first church in a Tremont trolley garage. By 1910 they constructed the mother church of SS. Peter & Paul in Tremont. From this church sprang St. mary (1952), St. Josaphat (1959), St. Andrew (1972), and St. Pokrova (1973), all located in Parma. The Orthodox Ukrainians immediately began the task of building St. Volodymyr (Vladimir) Ukrainian Orthodox Church in 1924. They first met at the Craftsman Hall on West 14th but by Sept. 1933 the church was completed. In 1966 a new St. Vladimir was built in Parma. The Orthodox Ukrainians have three more churches: Holy Trinity Ukr. Orthodox Church in North Royalton (1952), St. Andrew’s ukr. Orthodox Church in Cleveland, and St. Nicholas Ukr. Orthodox Church in Lakewood (1916)
The Ukrainian Museum-Archives is located on Kenilworth Avenue and was organized in 1952.
Ukrainian National Assn.
1942 Report by the WPA:
Most Ukrainians who migrated to Cleveland were Farmers and unskilled workers. The Ukrainians organized their first church in 1909. This church was St. Peter and Paul Greek Catholic Church at 2280 W. 7th Street. This church is affiliated with the Ukrainian Catholic Diocese of America. The location of two other Ukrainian churches are in the other settlements in which the people congregated. St. Vladimir Orthodox Church is at 2280 W. 11th Street and St. Nicholas Orthodox Church at Quail and Clover Streets in Lakewood. A number of other Ukrainians in the city attend the Russian Orthodox Church on Starkweather, named St. Theodosius. The largest number of Ukrainians have settled in the area on the west bank of the Cuyahoga.