Circuits Lab 6
Electrochemical Cells & Batteries
- A Daniell Cell is based on the premise that the two solutions (electrolyte solutions) want to be electrically neutral. This is achieved by the salt bridge!
- Watch the video to see how electrons are passed from one electrode to the other in order to create ions in the solutions ...
For less sciency people, we would say that this is what most "A", "AAA", "C" or "D" batteries are made of ... Fortunately, we are more sciency than most, so we would say that this is what an "A", "AAA", "C" or "D cell is made from!!! The differences in these two materials used (zinc and manganese oxide) creates a potential difference of about 1.5V.
Use the ideas presented in this short video to create a battery using household items!
Shock & Awe: The Story of Electricity. - BBC
Lab 6 Marking Criteria
- MAS - Votage greater than 1.5V
- ADV - Voltage between: 1.0V < V < 1.5
- LIM>PRG - Voltage of less than 1.0V and based on completion of terminology and video questions/reflections