InterPSS XML Schema
(Status: working-in-progress, some info are out dated)
InterPSS has a generic power system simulation engine, which has been designed to function independently, and is loosely coupled with other parts of InterPSS software system.
- As a user, you interact with the simulation engine through InterPSS user interface GEditor.
- As a developer, you use InterPSS API to program and use simulation engine functionality.
These are two typical InterPSS simulation engine usage scenarios. However, we have realized that there might be other usage scenarios which may need different approaches to interact with the engine. InterPSS XML approach is another way you could interact with the simulation engine. Currently the approach provides the following:
- Network Data Modification - Starting from a base case, apply modifications to the network topology, Loadflow data, Short Circuit data and/or transient stability simulation data.
- Run Study Case - Define one or multiple run study case records
When running Custom Script Run, selecting XML as the scripting language, the you can use an XML document to drive InterPSS running process.
InterPSS XML Schema
InterPSS Schema currently includes two main concepts: Modification and Run Study Case. The modification could be specified at all study case level or individual study case level.
- Modifications could be applied at the network level, Loadflow level, Short Circuit level and/or transient stability simulation level.
- Modifications could be applied to all study cases or to a particular study case.
- You can run one or a set of DC Loadflow, AC Loadflow, Short Circuit or transient stability simulation study case(s).
- Using the gridRun, you can distribute the study cases to remote computers to run them in parallel.
InterPSS Schema could be found Here. InterPSS development team uses Eclipse to maintain the schema. Please note: Eclipse XML schema editor is a part of the Eclipse EMF Project. Therefore, you need to add EMF to your Eclipse installation to use the schema editor to view schema in the graphic mode.
Modifications could be applied at the network level, Loadflow level, Short Circuit level and/or transient stability simulation level.
Network Topology Modification
Starting from a base InterPSS project, you can turn on/off bus and/or branch object(s).
Loadflow Data Modification
Starting from a base InterPSS project, you can make changes to bus load and/or branch impedance.
Short Circuit Data Modification
(To be defined in the future)
Transient Stability Data Modification
(To be defined in the future)
Run Study Case
You can specify to running one or multiple DC Loadflow, AC Loadflow, Short Circuit or Transient Stability case(s). Using the gridRun XML element, you can distribute the study cases to remote computers and run them in parallel. Parameters to control study case running process could be specified. Also, modifications could be applied at the study case level.
Run DC Loadflow
Run AC Loadflow
Run Transient Stability Simulation
Record Id and Reference Id
The root concept in InterPSS Schema is a record, a bus data modification record or a run AC Loadflow record. A record is generally translated to an action by InterPSS simulation engine to the power system simulation object model. All records have a redId field, an optional name field and an optional description field.
An object in InterPSS simulation object model is identified by a unique Id. When you want to apply certain action to an object, you need to make sure that there is such object in the object model and the reference Id, which has to be exactly equal to the object Id, is referenced to the correct object.
Working with InterPSS XML Document
Create/Edit XML Document
XML document is a native InterPSS document type. You can add an XML document into a project folder or under an InterPSS project. However, the current InterPSS GEditor does not provide a graphic editing environment for XML documents, since at the moment a good open-source Java XML editing toolkit is not available. We recommend use Eclipse to edit XML documents.
Step-1: Checkout the ipss.xml subproject
Step-2: Create XML document
- Right-click a folder, select New->Other... to add a new XML document
- Then select XML/XML as the file type. If you do not see the option, you are missing the Eclipse EMF package. You need to install the Eclipse EMF package.
- Enter a file name for your XML document
- Select Create XML file from a XML schema file
- Select the InterPSS.xsd as your document schema
- Then accept the defaults and click Finish to create a new XML document.
- At this stage, you should see a new XML document NewFile.xml created
Step-3: Edit XML document
Using Eclipse, you can edit your XML document intuitively.
(Todo: add more instructions)
 “XML and Data Exchange for Power System Analysis”, IEEE Power Engineering Review April 2000