The Masseys at Newcastle

Picture courtesy of George Bradish Tractor Parts

On the grounds of the J. Anderson Smith Company, a former Massey residence, County Road 2, Newcastle

Commemoration

One of the world's largest manufacturers of heavy farm machinery, Massey- Ferguson has its foundations in a modest family business developed in Newcastle. Established in Bond Head by Daniel Massey, the fledgling operation was moved to large quarters here in 1849. For 30 years the Newcastle Foundry and Machinery Manufactory prospered under the shrewd management of three generations of enterprising Masseys. Capitalizing on the expanding wheat market, Hart, Daniel's son, skillfully adapted American- designed implements to suit Canadian agrarian conditions. When sales were secured in Europe, marking Canada's first export of machinery overseas, continued expansion of the firm was ensured. By 1879 the operation had outgrown its Newcastle factories and the Massey Manufacturing Company, now managed by Hart's son Charles, moved to larger facilities in Toronto.

Background

Daniel Massey was born in Windsor in 1798.  He became a successful farmer in the Cobourg area.  His interest in machinery resulted in the creation of the Newcastle Foundry and Machine Manufactory in 1848.  

Hart Massey took over his father’s business in 1870 and Daniel retired.  A scion of the Massey family headed the firm until 1926.  A. Harris was Massey’s main competitor.  The merged business became known as Massey Harris in 1891.  In 1953, the company merged with the Ferguson Company of the UK creating Massey-Ferguson.  It is now a subsidiary of AGCO.

Massey Hall, in Toronto, was named after Charles Massey, a son of Hart, when it opened in 1894.