785 Thousand Islands Parkway. At the time of writing the plaques were missing but a plaque placed by the county is there.
Commemoration
Opened in 1938 by Prime Minster Mackenzie King and President Roosevelt, this international bridge system comprises five separate bridges with connecting viaducts and highways, which together cover a distance of about 13 kilometres.
Background
The bridge joins Ontario Highway 401 to US Interstate 81 via Ontario Highway 137. The bridge is maintained by the Americans. The original construction in 1938 was augmented in 1959. Also called the Hill Island Bridge, it crosses several islands including Hill, Constance and Georgina.
The original bridge system took 16 months to build at a cost of $3million (US), the equivalent today of almost $45 million.
This is another example of how, in the 20th century, the former rebels and loyalists have become good neighbours and allies, able to work together.