Charter revision

SUGGESTIONS FOR A CHARTER REVISION

First, I want to congratulate those very dedicated cultural professionals who have created

the Milan Charter. This document, and the website, will help to produce a vital plan for

creating change in our towns, cities, and across the world -- to best meet the evolving

needs of individuals, communities as well as the natural world, within which the entire

culture can flourish.

Secondly, when I first was invited to join the steering committee and provide feedback on

the first draft of the Charter, I was encouraged to see the first section titled “Our Common

Vision”. Without a common vision, it is hard to imagine how our field can move forward

together. As I began to read the Charter document, I was expecting a statement about a

vision of a desired world that the signatories to the charter actually shared. I imagined

that this section would describe the essential characteristics of a sustainable state of

wellbeing - for individuals, communities (including the economy and governance), as

well as the environment, upon which all human life depends. For example, I thought I

might see something along the lines of:

 we envision a world made up of communities in which all citizens are engaged in

the evolution of the culture;

 that citizens understand the forces that have shaped, are shaping and will likely

shape, the local/regional/global culture;

 that all citizens feel a sense of connection, trust and respect with other members

of the community;

 that the cultural fabric of the community reflects upon the ever-emerging,

personal and collective values that underpin the community.

These are just examples.

In the spirit of collegial dialogue about this important statement of a shared vision for the

group, I offered up these ideas as a stimulus for discussion and encouragement so that

others might contribute their thoughts to the emerging vision of the Charter.

Douglas Worts, 28/6/2017

In the first section “Our Common Vision”, He was expecting a statement about a vision of the desired future that the signatories to the charter shared. His expectation when I started to read this section was that it would describe a sustainable, future, cultural state of wellbeing - for individuals, communities (including the economy) and the environment. For example: we envision: a world made up of communities in which all citizens are engaged in the evolution of the culture; that citizens understand the forces that have shaped, are shaping and will likely shape, the local/regional/global culture; that all citizens feel a sense of connection, trust and respect with other members of the community; that the cultural fabric of the community reflects upon the ever-emerging, personal and collective values that underpin the community, and so on.

Douglas Worts, 2016

Send us your suggestions about the revision of the Charter.

The current version of the 2016 Milan cooperation charter