Channel C²

"A Channel for Christian Conversation."

INTERNATIONAL BIBLICAL DISCUSSION FORUMS

Conscientious Jehovah's Witnesses

and Former Jehovah's Witnesses

JW Convention

Posted by Echo on Mon - Jul 7 - 1:20pm:

My husband’s mother attended a JW convention this past weekend. After returning from the convention, she called our home while he was out, and when I answered, she did not say a greeting to me or ask how I was. She simply asked for him in a terse tone. When he returned her call on his return she told him that "they talked about Armageddon a lot" at the convention. When he asked her what the drama was about she couldn’t remember.

In musing over the affect that this religion has on it’s adherents my thoughts brought me to 1 Corinthians 13, 1-3:

"If I had the gift of being able to speak in other languages without learning them, and could speak in every language there is in all of heaven and earth, but didn’t love others, I would only be making noise. If I had the gift of prophecy and knew all about what is going to happen in the future, knew everything about everything, but didn’t love others, what good would it do? Even if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, I would still be worth nothing at all without love. If I gave everything I have to poor people, and if I were burned alive for preaching the Gospel but didn’t love others, it would be of no value whatever."

and then to words spoken by Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997), a Roman Catholic nun, who devoted her life to humanitarian works in India:

"We can cure physical diseases with medicine but the only cure for loneliness, despair and hopelessness is love. There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love."

The governing body of Jehovah’s Witnesses would have those kept in bondage to them through fear (the predominant impression left on by mother-in-law was their talk of Armageddon) by their continuous reminders that they are God’s channel, believe that people like Mother Teresa are on the road to perdition because they were not part of the JW religion.

My mother-in-law represents what is gleaned from a 3 day convention of Jehovah’s witnesses. It is not love.

Julia

JW Convention - Posted by Echo - Mon - Jul 7 - 1:20pm

Re: JW Convention - Posted by Libby - Tue - Jul 8 - 09:06am

Re: JW Convention - Posted by Echo - Tue - Jul 8 - 2:52pm

Re: JW Convention - Posted by AmhaAret - Tue - Jul 8 - 4:10pm

Re: JW Convention - Posted by Echo - Wed - Jul 9 - 12:44am

Re: JW Convention - Posted by PorkChop - Mon - Jul 7 - 10:05pm

Re: JW Convention - Posted by Sherwood - Thu - Jul 10 - 4:16pm