Entering and Exiting the ICU
This document contains information on how to enter ("scrub in") and exit ("scrub out") the ICU. The documents under this one contain information on taking materials and animals in and out of the ICU.
- Confirm no one is present in the changing area.
- Enter the clean side of the changing area.
- Remove clean clothes (including shoes and socks) and any items you do not wish to be contaminated, and store in the clean area. Hair should be up if possible.
- Step across the line into designated parvo shoes in the contaminated area. DO NOT STEP BARE FOOT ON THE FLOOR.
- DO NOT CROSS BACK across the line into the clean area without running through the Scrubbing Out Procedure (see below).
- Put on some of the scrubs and shoes available on the contaminated side.
- Enter the ICU.
- Wash hands and arms thoroughly with warm water in the ICU - Use the medical hand washing protocol.
- Immediately enter the contaminated side of the changing area.
- Remove scrubs and shoes obtained on the contaminated side of the changing area. Do not step bare foot on the contaminated area floor.
- Step over the line into the clean side of the changing area.
- DO NOT CROSS BACK across the line into the contaminated area without rerunning the Scrubbing Out Procedure from the beginning.
- Wash hands thoroughly in sink - see hand washing procedures for details on proper hand washing.
- Change into clean clothes. You're ready to leave!