Physical Education aims to empower each pupil to enjoy taking part in an active and healthy lifestyle. It develops aspirations and determination to continue with lifelong learning and self-improvement through a broad-based curriculum. At Anglesey, we aim to develop children’s enjoyment, confidence and skill in physical activity and introduce them to the pleasures of sport to help develop active children who benefit from a healthy lifestyle.
Pupils in Early Years to Year 6 take part in gymnastics, athletics, outdoor and adventurous activities, dance and games. From KS2 we introduce swimming into one year group.
By the time each pupil leaves Anglesey Primary Academy they will have the confidence and self-belief to establish relationships and aspire to become healthy individuals and succeed in physically demanding activities. We endeavour to maximise every pupil's potential whatever their level.
From Year 3 to Year 6, pupils learn and develop their abilities across a range of sports including hockey, netball, rounders, tennis, cricket, rugby and football. Swimming is currently taught in Year 4.
- Start and end with assessment. Accurate assessment of what children can and can’t do to inform planning and ensure the right pitch for each lesson is appropriate.
- To allow all pupils to participate in a range of sports.
- To increase the amount of inclusive sports taught in curriculum time, eg boccia etc.
- To increase the number of pupils participating in afterschool clubs.
- To ensure that the majority of pupils can swim 25 metres by the end of Year 6.
Updated November 2019